Credit: Robert Triggs / Android Authority
Wireless charging has been a popular option on flagship phones for years now, and there are definitely devotees to the charging standard. The charging speeds aren’t traditionally as fast as wired charging but the convenience of going cable-free is certainly an upside.
That got us thinking about whether our audience uses wired charging or wireless top-ups more. We posted this poll on April 20, and here’s how you voted in it.
Do you prefer wired or wireless charging more?
A total of 2,679 votes were tallied at the time of writing, giving us a decent sample size in the process. And it turns out that most polled readers (~70.9%) prefer wired charging more than wireless top-ups. The comments suggest that power efficiency and charging speeds were the main drivers behind the use of wired charging.
There’s still a decent chunk of respondents (~29.1%) who prefer wireless charging as their preferred top-up method. Reasons cited by commenters include the convenience factor (just place the phone on the charging pad) and less wear and tear on the charging port.
For what it’s worth, we’re seeing wireless charging making major speed gains in the last year or two. Devices like the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra (67W), Huawei Mate 40 Pro (50W), and OnePlus 9 Pro (50W) are all offering speeds equivalent to ultra-fast wired charging solutions. So expect speed to be less of a differentiating factor compared to years gone by.
- Shizuma: Wired always, tried wireless on multiple phones and it is awful, it’s very slow, finicky lining up correctly so more time is spent doing that than just plugging in a cable even back in the days of micro-usb connectors.
- mejustsayin: If the phone does not offer wireless charging, aint going to get it. I was all the time forgetting to plug the wire and always had a dead phone. Finally got a wireless charger, placed it where I am always leaving the phone and the phone is always charged. A bunch of years later, I never use a wire except for emergency charging when out and about.
- Healthy: I used to prefer wireless charging but then noticed sometimes the phone was getting very hot so I stopped using wireless charging because I didn’t want to ruin my battery.
- Skifarterking: I always used Wired as most of the time I still use the phone while charging. Also because I don’t like how wireless charging is so wasteful and inefficient.
- Tony Talks: I lean more towards wired charging (mostly because that’s what I’ve always been used to) however I do use wireless about a third of the time.
- David Yastrab: I use wireless. Seems like it will cause less wear and tear on the USB port and is cool. But I dread missing the right spot on the pad and finding out hours later that I’m still at low battery because I was supposed to move the phone.
- Drone9: In my country, nobody uses wireless charging. It’s slow and you can’t consume media/game while charging. Plus, its easier to carry the adapter in a bag, plug it into a wall at a public place for 10mins, and walk away with half a day of juice.
That’s it for our wired/wireless charging poll results. What do you make of these results and the question? Let us know via the comments section.